This is the area beyond or west of the old Champlain Canal about where new St. Mary’s Church stands, and going north to the bridge over the railway track, then west to the West Waterford depot.
Only the older people remember the name, and it now brings smiles when it is mentioned. All crow students know that these black birds homeward fly as eve arrives-and then they invariably sleep in tall pine trees, hence “Crow Hill.”
This brings our memory back to the very early days when this portion of our town, and beyond, was said to have been called the “Pine Plains.”
In the region close to where the Depot now stands was the “Common,” a place where the cattle of the community grazed.
Not far to the south of this was “Albert’s Gate” (Albert Vanderwerken’s land) beyond which the wilds of the town, belonging partly to that gentleman.
Our people were then humble, and we have a printed record of a preacher hitching his cow to his house far down in the village, where bossy waited to be milked. Afterward he escorted her back to the Common.
“Crow Hill” s firmly fixed in local Spanish War history by- “Several youths of Crow Hill, West Waterford, purchased a flag and had a flag raising with $7.00 or $8.00 solicited from their friends. The ceremony took place before a large audience with Owen Coyle making the speech and Father O’Donnell of St. Mary’s assisting in the ceremonies.”
From the Troy Times, May 4 and 7, 1898
Excerpt from The History of Waterford New York by Sydney Ernest Hammersley, 1957
Please Help Us by Sharing